Thursday, May 07, 2015

Aambe Gojju - Ripe Mango Chutney

In Konkani, we say 'Aambo' for mango and gojju is a kind of chutney made with various kinds of fruits and vegetables. This gojju is almost like its cousin 'Khalaambe/Kholaambe Gojju', the one made with raw mangio in brine. This is a simple easy to make chutney full of flavours and taste, found mostly in GSB homes during the high summer season when mangoes flood the market.
I remember that my mother never made gojju with ripe mango, biut she made the one with khalaambo, pounding brined mangoes with green chillies and salt crystals in a wooden mortar, adding asafotoeda and coconut oil. Especially during the monsoon days, that chutney made justice to the piping hot congi or rice and dallithove.

When I was working in a bank, sometime in the mid 90's I came across a colleague hailing from Udupi, who spared some khalaambe gojju during lunch time. It was as good as my mother made during my childhood days and I asked her the recipe. She smiled and asked me, "Why are you asking for the recipe of such a simple gojju? This is very easy to make!". She then mentioned the recipe in brief and also added, that I can make this with fresh ripe mangoes.

Another friend Manjeshwar Vivekanand Bhakta was also mentioning recently about this gojju, and said it's his favourite during mango season. Ever since, I had been waiting for the high mango season to make this.

We had congi for dinner yesterday. As I was going for a glass of drinking water, I found two small ripe mangoes from our garden resting on the kitchen platform. Probably Meena had kept them there for eating after dinner. I immediately got into action and prepared this gojju within 5 minutes. The ingredients I added  were just right and the gojju tasted as good as any experienced mother makes it.

Try this and make your family drool before and after relishing this lip smacking, finger licking good tangy, sweet and aromatic Ripe Mango Gojju. You can add tamarind only if the mangoes are too sweet. The ones from our garden are very sweet, hence I added little tamarind to this. This gojju also tastes fantastic with chapatis, dosas, idlis and string hoppers.
Ingredients:
Ripe, but slightly tangy, pulpy Mangoes - 2 small(Around 200 Gms)
Tamarind(Optional) - A small pinch
Green Chillies - 2-3(Depending on pungency of the chillies)
Sea Salt Crystals - 1/4 Tsp(Or salt to taste)
Asafotoeda - 1 Tsp thick solution in water(or a pinch of powder)
Coconut Oil - 2 Tsp

Method:
Slice off the mangoes and chop into 1/2 inch bits along with the skin.
Cut green chillies into 1/2 inch bits.
Coarsely pound/grind the mango pieces along with green chillies, sea salt and optional tamarind for 10-20 secs.
Transfer to a mixing bowl and add asafotoeda solution(or powder) and coconut oil.
Mix well and serve with rice and daalithove, gruel(congi), or with curd rice.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Image Copy Control